Best Soda Makers for Home
Did you know you can make your own sparkling water at home, and even add a flavor to it? All you need is tap water, some tasty syrups, and a soda maker machine.
Using a soda maker at home is more practical than carrying heavy water bottles from the grocery store. It is also even more environmentally friendly than buying single-use bottles with sparkling water. The bottles used for a home soda machine are reusable and can even look good.
Top 10 Soda Makers
Top 7 Carbonated Water Makers
- SodaStream Source Sparkling Water Maker – Simplistic and functional design
- Aarke Carbonator II Soda Maker – Stylish industrial look design
- SodaStream Fizzi Sparkling Water Maker – Available in fashionable colours
- KitchenAid Sparkling Beverage Maker – Colourful retro styling
- DrinkMate Sparkling Water Maker – Simplistic and compact design
- iSi Stainless Steel Soda Siphon Bottle – Small stainless steel model
- SodaStream Jet Sparkling Water Maker – Robust and durable model
Choosing a soda maker for your household is a choice which depends mainly on looks of the device and cost. The leading brand for soda makers is SodaSteamer, this brand is so popular that many call soda makers from other brands, also a ‘SodaStream’. Below we have created a list of 7 good soda makers that we thought you may like.
Simplistic and functional design
- This is classic model for SodaStream. It features LED indicators, Snap-lock technology and doesn’t even require electricity or batteries.
- Kit includes: soda maker, mini CO2 carbonator, 1 Liter reusable carbonating bottle, 60 Liter mail-in discount.
- Dimensions: 10 x 5.5 x 17 inches
- Material type: Plastic
- Color: Black or White
#2 | Aarke Carbonator II
Stylish industrial look design
- The Carbonator II is a great quality and stylish looking soda maker that all strives to be compact and functional.
- This kit includes: the soda maker, a reusable carbonating bottle and a user manual. Gas cylinder is not included in this kit.
- Dimensions: 10 x 6 x 16 inches
- Material type: Stainless Steel
- Color: 4 different colours
Available in fashionable colours
- This cute modern machine turns tap water into sparking water within seconds, no electricity or batteries required.
- This package includes: soda maker, 2x 60L CO2 cylinder, 2x 1 Liter reusable carbonating bottle and 2x Fruit Drops Flavours.
- Dimensions: 8.1 x 8.1 x 18 inches
- Material type: Plastic
- Color: 5 different colors
Colourful retro styling
- This cute and robust soda maker is made to last with premium material and even has a soft grip handle. It is also compatible with all SodaStream products.
- This package includes: the soda maker, a large 60L CO2 cylinder and a 1L reusable carbonating bottle.
- Dimensions: 11 x 7.9 x 17.9 inches
- Material type: Premium die cast metal housing
- Color: 8 different colors
Simplistic and compact design
- DrinkMate designed their soda maker to quickly and easily carbonates any drink: water, juices, Iced tea and more.
- This package includes the soda maker, 1 liter reusable carbonating bottle, small 10L Co2 cylinder, and fizz infuser.
- Dimensions: 8 x 5 x 16 inches
- Material type: Plastic
- Color: 3 different colours
Small stainless steel model
- This soda maker has a high quality stainless steel construction, and working with small single use cartridges rather than 60L cartridges.
- It is a stylish alternative to a larger soda maker for occasional rather than frequent users.
- Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 12 inches approx.
- Material type: Stainless steel
- Color: Silver or Aluminium
Robust and durable model
- This soda making machine makes fresh and sustainable sparkling water with the push of a button at home. No need to carry heavy water bottles from the grocery store anymore.
- This package includes: soda maker, 60L CO2 cylinder, and a 1 Liter reusable carbonating bottle.
- Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 17 inches
- Material type: Plastic
- Color: Black/Silver
In 2011 Americans used 50 billion plastic water bottles, 40 billion ended up in landfills.Recycling.com
Flavor Mixes and Soda Syrups
Replacement CO2 Cylinders
Extra Spare Bottles
Great that you are interested in reusable products. Step up your game even more by checking out other eco-friendly Reusables Products.
Soda Maker Guide
Although soda makers has been around for a while, especially in Europe, they are only really starting to trend now. So if you are new to the world of SodaStream, this guide will give you all the information you need to make an educated decision about buying a carbonated water maker.
What is a soda maker? What does it do?
A soda maker is a machine that can be used to shoot CO2 into a reusable bottle with tap water to make carbonated, or sparkling drinking water. The machine does this without batteries or access to electricity, so it can be placed anywhere you like. All a soda maker needs to work is a full pressurised CO2 cartridge bottle, which can be bought in stores or online.
Sparkling water is not the only thing a soda maker can make for you. You can also use special concentrated syrups from an enormous variety of flavours to add flavour to your fresh, sparkling water. So you can really make your own refreshing
Reasons to get a soda maker machine?
There are environmental, practical and financial reasons why soda makers are a smart investment for any home where sparkling drinks is preferred over still beverages.
Environmental benefits of soda makers
The huge environment benefit a Sodastream brings with it is that it replaces all those unnecessary single-use bottles from bottled water and bottled sodas that you have to purchase and drag home from grocery stores. Soda makers make all those (single-use) bottles unnecessary as it replaces them with reusable bottles which come in various sizes, shapes, colours and even materials, such as plastic or alternatively glass. You can make your carbonated water directly in these bottles, add a flavour if you like, and bring it with you where ever you go that day.
“SodaStream owners save 550 plastic single-use bottles a year.”
Purchasing a sparkling water machine for your home will allow you to significantly reduce the amount of plastic waste you produce which ends up on landfills, or worse in our oceans.
Practical reasons to get a soda maker
Having a SodaStream or another soda maker in your home will illuminate the need to purchase sparkling water or other sparkling soda beverages at the store. This saves you the effort of carrying heavy bottles to and from your car. It even saves you space in you trash can and ultimately allows you to bring out your trash less frequently.
The carbonation cartridges weigh around the same as one bottle of sparkling water from the grocery store, but one carriage will last you around 8 to 9 weeks, as it can make around 60 Liters or 16 Gallons of carbonated water.
Is SodaStream cheaper than buying soda?
A common question concerning is, are they cheaper than buying soda at the store? The simple answer is: in the long run yes, they are cheaper. Not by a lot, but they also bring many other (environmental) benefits with them.
Soda makers are a little like printers when it come to pricing. The device itself is often surprisingly affordable but later you realised that the original cartridges are quite pricey.
A normal size cartridge for a soda maker costs around $35, which sounds like a lot but one cartridge can make up to 16 Gallons of sparkling water. That is around $2.20 per gallon of carbonated water. Not that bad after all, right?
Is a carbonation machine right for you?
Sparkling water machines are not the right choice for everyone. However, if you check four or more of the items listed below then a soda maker in your household can make you very happy.
- You care about the environment and try to minimise the waste you produce.
- You drink sparkling water and other sparkling drinks on a daily or bi-daily bases.
- You dislike carrying heavy groceries to and from your car.
- You and your family enjoy making your own drinks and mixing flavours.
- You prefer drinking from reusable water bottles over single-use bottles on the go.
- You like to know exactly what you are drinking and like to have control over sweetness.
Things to know before you buy a carbonated water maker
If you have decided to buy a soda maker, no matter the brand, the smartest thing to do is to purchase a bundle pack. By this we mean: buy a soda maker that comes with a few CO2 cylinders and a few carbonation bottles or even with a few syrups. This way will save you some money and it will also ensure that you have everything you need to start using your carbonation machine immediately.
Another thing you should be aware of before purchasing your device is the “quality” of the bubbles. Just like any other soda, the amount of bubbles will disapear after several days. This means that you need to drink the soda within a few days after making it. That is different with buying soda from the store, that has a much longer shelve life because these bottles are vacuum sealed.
Lastly, unfortunately the carbonation cylinders will not last forever, after about 16 gallons of soda you will need to replace them, but this is quite a simple and fast process.
My personal experience with SodaStreamer
I remember having a soda maker at home when I was 5 or 6 years old, then for a long time didn’t have one and now it has come back to our household. In my experience is it a machine that definitely facilitates your grocery shopping, but is also fun to use and test out different flavours of syrup with.
We currently have a SodaStream which it made of plastic. Unfortunately, this is noticeable when handling it, but it doesn’t seem to influence the performance of the machine at all. We chose to invest in two glass bottles, rather than plastic one because they don’t travel with them, so last longer and are also very good looking. We love that sparkling water maker doesn’t rely on electricity and easy to move around the kitchen. Exchanging the cartridge is no big deal at all, but the high pricing of them is a little annoying.
Ultimately, I would invest in a soda maker any day of the year, but from now on I would pay more attention to finding one with premium materials, so that it doesn’t feel so delicate anymore during use.
Step Up: Recycle, Reuse & Reduce
The three arrows of the recycling symbol represent the three main stages of the recycling process: recycling, reusing and reducing. Together the arrows form a closed loop. Step up and implement eco-friendly replacements in your daily life.
By Recycling.com/ 22 January 2020