What type of shredder is most secure?
A micro-cut shredder with security level DIN P-7 (Protection Class: 3) is the most secure paper shredder. This type of paper shredder offers you maximum data security and turns a standard (top secret) A4 document into 12,474+ particles.
What is a P-7 Shredder?
Each paper shredder is officially rated with a DIN security level. For example DIN P-4, or DIN P-7. The DIN P-level is part of the official German DIN 66399 standard. The levels range from P-1 to DIN P-7. A high DIN security level indicates that the shredder shreds documents into smaller paper shreddings.
A P-7 shredder shreds documents into unreadable particles with the size of a grain of rice.
DIN Protection class 3
DIN P-7 falls under protection class 3 of the security standard DIN 66399.This indicates:
- DIN Protection Class: 3
- Security rating: Extremely high
- Particle size: < 5 mm² / 0.01 in²
- Particle width: < 1 mm / 0.04 in
- After shredding an A4 document: 12,474+ particles
- Approved: HIPPA, NSA/CSS 02-01
- Very high protection for highly confidential and extremely secret data
- Security level: DIN P-4, DIN P-5, DIN P-6, DIN P-7
For who is a P7 paper shredder for?
A P-7 paper shredder is meant for destroying highly confidential data with the highest security precautions. These high-security shredding machines are used by government agencies, banks, embassies, the military, and medical fields.
How small are P7 paper particles?
As you can see below, a DIN P-7 shred is very tiny. Especially when you compare it to more general security levels as DIN P-3 and DIN P-4.
Compare the security levels
We have created a Microsoft Word document you can print out to see for your self how small or large each DIN 66399 security level is in reality.
How does it work?
- Download this Word document
- Copy and paste some text into the document
- Print the document
- Now you can see the size of each paper particle
Cons of P7 paper shredders
The advantage of a P-7 shredder is of course that you can shred any document into unreadable and non-reconstructable particles. This is very helpful for destroying top-secret information.
But a P-7 shredder also has some disadvantages to be aware of:
- Most expensive type of paper shredder
- Slower than less secure shredders
- Maximum sheet capacity is lower compared to similar less secure shredders
- More dust particles
- More frequent maintenance is needed
See a DIN 663399 P7 paper shredder in action:
More about paper shredders
By Recycling.com/ 4 September 2020