Kickstart your Zero Waste lifestyle
Ultimate resource for zero waste alternatives
We’ve made a list of all kinds of products we use every day in our daily life. Such as products we use in the bathroom or in the kitchen. We searched the web to find eco-friendly alternatives that are way better to use for the environment. These products are for instance biodegradable, have a plastic-free packaging or are made of recycling-friendly and natural materials such as wood, glass or metal.
Let us inspire you to start your zero waste lifestyle. It is pretty easy to live more waste and plastic-free, it is just that you need to know where to begin. The list below will give you some ideas and sollutions for eco-friendly alternatives for daily used products. These products are also great gift ideas for family and friends.
Click on one of the departments below to find zero waste products.
Say no to plastic and say yes to zero waste.
Zero Waste Basic Essentials
If you want to kickstart your zero waste lifestyle then we recommend these three products below. A reusable water bottle, reusable grocery bag and a dual recycling bin will really have a great impact in reducing waste in your life and household.
- Reusable water bottles — A reusable water bottle is a great alternative for bottled water. It prevents a lot of plastic pollution that is caused by the plastic bottles. The best zero waste option is a stainless steel water bottle. You can find all kinds of zero waste water bottles here.
- Grocery bags — Stop buying a plastic grocery bag at the grocery store every time. Because you can bring your own bag and be more fashionable at the same time. A reusable shopping bag is fairly cheap and reduces plastic waste. But you can also get a more expensive designer bag as well. Take a look at some reusable grocery bags. We’ve selected some cheap bags and some designer bags for you.
- Dual trash cans — You can prevent a lot of waste by separating recyclables from your garbage. A great way to achieve this is by getting a dual trash can and place it in your kitchen. A dual recycling bin contains of two separate buckets so you can sort your trash and recyclables in one receptacle. Check our list of recommended dual trash cans with two compartments.
- Reusable lighters – A great alternative for disposable lighters are rechargeable electronic arc lighters. These lighters don’t spark a flame but spark a plasma arc. The arc lighters can be used to light candles, kitchen stoves, cigarettes and much more. Check out our recommendations for electronic arc lighters.
Personal Care & Cosmetics
Face & Body Care
- Bath soap – This is a solid soap bar with generous amounts of goats milk, shea butter and whole oats. This soap bar will make your skin very soft. The soap bar is pollution free and is made of all natural products. So you’ll find no parabens, sulfates or synthetic fragrances and dyes in this soap bar.
- Body sponge – Clean your whole body in the shower or in your both with this charcoal body sponge. It is 100% natural and eco-friendly. It is packaged in a cardboard box. The sponge is free of parabens, sulphates & chemicals. After use, you can compost the body sponge.
- Deodorant – An alternative for a deodorant spray is a deodorant cream. This deodorant comes in a plastic free packaging. The cream is effective for all activities and keeps you fresh throughout the day.
- Lip balm – This is an all natural and plastic-free lip balm that moisturizes dry and cracked lips. It is all natural and contains organic ingredients only. The lip balm is packaged in a recyclable tin that is also biodegradable. Or get a 10 piece variety pack here, packaged in kraft paperboard. The set contains lip balm, salve and lotion lubes.
- Scrub – This is a charcoal scrub for deep cleansing of your face and body. The all natural scrub comes in a glass jar with a metal lid. You can use the scrub for making your skin softer and brighter. It is also great to reduce acne or dry skin and it has a strong anti-aging action.
- Skin brush – This dry skin brush is made from all natural materials. The handle of the body brush is crafted from cherry wood and the bristles are made of the hairs from boars.
- Soap bar – The organic soap bar is all-natural and uses as few ingredients as possible. The soap contains a mix of plant-based oils and natural clays. Great to use as hand soap or body soap under the shower.
- Sunscreen – This natural moisturizing sun protection comes in a reusable tin packaging. The water resistant sunscreen is made of raw natural products, there are no preservatives, stablizers or fragrances. It is very natural and the sunscreen feels soft on the skin.
- Conditioner – This conditioner comes in no-plastic packaging and is made from all natural ingredients. The solid conditioner bar comes in a round metal container and is good for 100 – 130 washes. The conditioner includes organic Leatherwood honey from the Australian rainforest.
- Hair brush – This is a natural sandalwood hair brush which contains zero plastic. The detangling hair comb has natural rounded bristles which are attached to a rubber base. The brush handle is crafted of a strong and durable natural sandelwood.
- Hair mask – Give your hair a 100% organic hair mask with this pure and natural clay. It comes in a glass jar and you can use the clay also a as a facial mask.
- Hair ties – These are organic hair ties that are plastic-free. The no crease hair ties are made of organic cotton (75%) and natural rubber (25%). So these are still elastic.
- Shampoo – When you think of shampoo you probably think of a plastic bottle filled with your favorite hair product. But you can also use shampoo bars. The shampoo bar we selected is 100% biodegradable and 100% vegan. So there is no plastic packaging and the shampoo itself isn’t harmful for the sea life. You can find more shampoo bars here on Amazon.
- Blush – This organic blush comes in two shades of pink. The blush is packaged in a cardboard round container. It is infused with USDA certified organic rose oil, sunflower seed oil and grape seed oil.
- Makeup brush set – This is a 7 piece set of bamboo makeup brushes. The zero waste makeup brushes come in a cotton travel pouch. The handles are hand crafted and made of wood and made to last. Use the brushes to apply face and eye makeup.
- Makeup remover cloth – Most makeup remover wipes can be used one time only. But you can also get this machine washable, and thus reusable makeup remover cloth. You can erase your makeup completely (only use water), even waterproof mascara. It is super soft to your skin. It is eco-friendly and chemical-free.
- Makeup remover pads – Remove the makeup of your face with these bamboo flace makeup remover pads. The set contains of 10 pads which are palm sized. The pads are very soft for the skin and are perfect to refresh your face. You can reuse the makeup pads because they are machine washable. The zero waste makeup remover pads are made of 70% bamboo and 30% organic cotton.
- Q-tips / cotton swabs – These are 100% organic cotton wool buds. They are soft and absorbant and perfect for personal care and for applying and removing makeup or other cosmetics. The swabs are packaged in eco-friendly cardboard.
Shaving & Grooming
- Safety razor – Why would you use a disposable plastic flimsy safety razor. A better zero waste alternative is a metal safety razor, which feels great in the hand. We’ve selected a reusable safety razor which is packaged in a cardboard box, the razor itself sits in a leatherette & suede case with mirror. So perfect for traveling as well.
- Shaving cream – This shaving cream is packaged in a paper box and the cream comes in a glass jar with metal lid. The all natural shaving cream is alcohol free, sulfate free and paraben free. Tip: Do you have a shaving soap bowl for cleaning your shaving brush?
- Shaving brush – This shaving brush is crafted from real wood and contains real badger hair bristles. This brush will give you a luxurious barber-like experience. Don’t forget to get a stand for your shaving brush and safety razor, here you can find a metal razor and brush stand.
- Dental floss – Most dental floss comes in a plastic box. A better zero waste alternative is dental floss which comes in recyclable paper packaging. This eliminates the use of a disposable plastic container.
- Mouthwash – A bottle of mouthwash is mostly packaged in a plastic bottle. We’ve selected a great natural mouthwash that comes in a glass bottle, which is reusable and recyclable.
- Toothbrush – Instead of using a disposable plastic toothbrush you can use a bamboo toothbrush. Most people replace their disposable toothbrush every two to three months. A bamboo or wooden zero waste toothbrush feels a bit weird in the beginning, because the texture is less smooth than plastic. But you’ll get used to it pretty quick.
- Toothpick – The best alternative for plastic toothpicks are wooden or metal toothpicks. A wooden toothpick can only be used once. So if you want to reuse your dental picks we recommend getting titanium toothpicks.
Cleaning & Household
- Dish brush – This is an all natural dish brush. The handle is made of strong bamboo and the bristles are made of tampico plant. The reusable and eco-friendly dish brush looks very nice in your kitchen.
- Dishwasher tablets – This box of naturally derived dishwasher tablets contains 25 pices and a fragrance-free. The tablets are packaged in a 100% recyclable cardboard box. What is great is that these dishwasher tablets are biodegradable and fish friendly.
- Dish powder – This dishwasher detergent is 100% natural and cleans your dishes in a eco-friendly way because it contains a biodegradable formula.
- Gloves – Do you like to clean your house with household gloves on? Well then you can protect your hands with these biodegradable all-natural and reusable latex gloves. The gloves are packaged in FSC-certified recycled board.
- Paper towels – These paper towels are made of 100% recycled paper and contains 250 sheets. You can fit the multifold towels into most universal paper towel dispensers. The towels are FSC and Eco Logo certified.
- Scouring pads – Clean your dishes with these reusable scrubs. They are made in Europe and are made from 100% cotton. The scrubbers are reusable because you can wash them and use them over and over again. You can replace your old scrub sponges with these colourful zero waste scouring pads.
- Trash bags – Find a list of compostable and biodegradable trash bags on Amazon. These are great to use for compostable trash, such as vegatable and fruit waste.
- Air freshner – This all natural air purifying bag eliminates odors in your bathroom or restroom. But you can use this also in closets, cars or other areas where you want to prevent mold, mildew and bacteria from forming. It is fragrance free, chemical free and non-toxic. You can reuse the odor eliminator up to two years.
- Scrub brush – Replace your plastic scrub brush with a all natural scrub brush. This one is made of bamboo and the bristles are made of tampico plant. The advantage of the bristels is that they provide a much greater water absorpation than plastic bristles. The brush looks very good, is functional and is also environmentally friendly.
- Toilet brush – A bamboo toilet brush looks so much prettier than a plastic toilet brush. This toilet brush is made of untreated beechwood and union fiber. The brush is great for everyday cleaning of your toilet, the bristles are extra stiff.
- Toilet paper – These bathroom tissues are great for residential, office and commercial use. The white toilet paper has a great strength and absorbency. A roll of this toilet paper contains 100% recycled paper. The rolls are packaged in a paper wrapper.
- Detergent powder pods – The powder pods from Stoneworks are made with natural ingredients and has a non-toxic formula. The powder is fragrance, phosphate and chlorine free. You can use this powder for all temperatures and makes your laundry clean and very soft.
- Detergent soap berries – This box contains 100 loads of dried de-seeded soap berries, known as soap nuts or soap berries. These berries grow on trees in the Himalayas. You can use these ‘eco nuts’ as a detergent and softner. It is USDA certified organic. You can reuse the berries up to 10 times. Your clothes feel soft and smell great thanks to this all-purpose organic laundry soap. We recommend getting this 100% natural laundry wash bags to hold your soap nuts.
- Dryer balls – These wool (from New Zealand) dryer balls can be reused over 1,000 times. The balls are 100% natural and organic. It keeps your clothes and other laundry toxin free. The durable laundry balls are naturally felt and contain no synthetic fibers or fillers.
- Dryer sheets – This laundry kit contains natural laundry pods and dryer sheets. The products are made with naturally-derived ingredients. The dryer sheets are compostable and the overall kit is deseigned to minimize your impact on the environment. The paper sack is recycle-friendly, even the ink is water based. The boxes of dryer sheets are made of recycled paper.
- Laundry soda – This soda comes in a metal container and the soda is made from all-natural ingredients which are biodegradable, non-toxic, gluten free and are septic safe. The soda is free of chemicals and is tough enough to clean your laundry.
Eat & Drink
Utensils & Cutlery
- Chopsticks – Oldschool bamboo chopsticks with paper wrap for single use which can be composted afterwards. The wrapper is made of paper which can also be recycled.
- Cutlery set – Metal food utensils for a party can be too much for your storage. Disposable utensils are an outcome. The negative side is that most are plastic which pollute our ecosystem. You can tackle this by buying eco friendly and bio degradable bamboo utensils. Which you can throw away with the leftovers of your party.
- Forks – A 100 piece set of compostable wooden forks. These forks turn into compost in under 60 days. With these forks you eliminate unnecessary landfill waste.
- Knives – A 100 piece set of compostable wooden knives . These kinves turn into compost in under 60 days. With these knives you eliminate unnecessary landfill waste.
- Spoons – Disposable bamboo spoons which are 100% compostable and have a plastic free packaging. For a big party or an event.
Plates & Cups
- Bowls – All-natural bamboo bowls that are great for a outdoor lunch or an event. The square shaped sturdy bowls are compostable and are made of palm leafes.
- Coffee cups – These coffee cups are 100% biodegradable and compostable and you can throw them away with your leftovers. They are made of kraft paper. Fully recyclable packaging and no plastic waste. Great for coffee or tea.
- Lunch bags – This biodegradable lunch bag is made out of 100% recyclable paper fibers. It is an eco-friendly alternative for the traditional plastic bag that is a big polluter. The square bottom gives the lunch bag extra stability.
- Plates – Disposable wooden plates that are all-natural and eco-friendly. A much better alternative than plastic or styrofoam plates. These wooden plates are compostable.
- Stirrers – These bamboo stirrers are stronger than their wooden and plastic alternatives. The bamboo stir sticks are fully biodegradable and a great to stear hot bevarages such as tea and coffee or cold drinks such as a summer cocktail.
- Straws – Biodegradable paper straws with a fun design, available in all kinds of colours. These paper straws are more eco-friendly than polluting plastic straws. The paper straws are very durable and FDA approved. Great to use for (zero waste) parties.
Tips for finding more Zero Waste Products
- Go to Amazon
- Type in the product you are searching for in the search bar
- Add one of the following words: ‘natural, organic, eco, eco-friendly, plastic-free, zero waste, biodegradable, compostable’.
Every year more than 8 million tons of plastic trash flows into the world’s oceans. Most of this plastic trash comes from discarded single-use disposable plastic products, such as:
- Plastic water / soda bottles
- Plastic straws
- Plastic grocery bags
- Plastic coffee cups
- Plastic lunch bags
- Plastic cigarette lighters
- Plastic toothbrushes
- Plastic safety razors
- Plastic food containers
- Plastic cutlery
Do you want to help the environment and reduce plastic waste pollution in our oceans? Then start using eco-friendly and biodegradable alternatives.
Zero Waste water bottles
Drink your favorite beverage out of your Zero Waste water bottle you can reuse again and again. This is a way better alternative than buying plastic water bottles in the grocery store.
By: Klean Kanteen
Klean Kanteen Classic Stainless Steel Bottle With Sport Cap
By: GlacierPoint Bottle
Glacier Point Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle (25oz / 750ml)
Zero Waste books
Learn how to live a Zero Waste lifestyle from the most successful Zero Waste authors.
Author: Amy Korst
The Zero-Waste Lifestyle: Live Well by Throwing Away Less
Author: Beth Terry
Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too
Jars and canisters
The iconic item for a Zero Waste lifestyle has to be a glass mason jar. If you go shopping at a Zero Waste grocery store you can use these jars to fill them with cereal, sugar or cookies.
By: Bormioli Rocco
Bormioli Rocco Fido Clear Jar, 33-3/4-Ounce
Never use a disposable cup ever again. Bring your own cup with you. It looks stylish and it is reusable.
By: Klean Kanteen
Kleen Kanteen 16 oz Stainless Steel Pint 4 Pack
Coffee and tea
Make and drink your favorite coffee or tea with these eco friendly products.
Having lunch in the sun at the beach is much fun. You can reduce waste and start reusing outdoor as well with these Zero Waste products.
ECOlunchbox Three-in-One Stainless Steel Food Container Set
By: Kids Konserve
Kids Konserve Stainless Steel Mini Food Containers, Set of 3
Dopper Water Bottle, Cool Blue
Step Up: Recycle, Reuse & Reduce
The three arrows of the recycling symbol represent the three main stages of the recycling process: recycling, reusing and reducing. Together the arrows form a closed loop. Step up and implement eco-friendly replacements in your daily life.
By Recycling.com/ 2 January 2019